A total of 129 mobile classrooms will be constructed to accommodate the 2 550 learners who have still not been placed in the Western Cape.
The Western Cape Education Department (WCED) said it will secure additional teachers and mobile classrooms to help place these learners by the start of the second term on Monday 3 May.
Education MEC Debbie Schafer said that schools where more teachers have been allocated, will make spaces available for the learners who still have not been placed.
The department is also arranging catch-up support programmes for the learners who have missed the first term.
NCCC will soon meet to consider return to 100% attendance at schools
The WCED said education officials will put forward a proposal to the National Coronavirus Command Council (NCCC) for a full return to South Africa’s public schools.
The NCCC is expected to meet soon to discuss the possibility of a complete return to the classrooms in the second term.
While speaking on Cape Talk, Western Cape Education Department’s Bronagh Hammond said that they had received a number of applications over the past week from schools requesting to operate at 100% capacity from the start of the second term.
Hammond said more than 120 schools had applied so far.