The aftermath of the Guy Fawkes has seen several incidents of hooliganism, assaults and injuries in pets and people.
Rayno Daniels from Lotus River’s pet was injured because of fireworks that were set off in the neighbourhood.
Daniels says the incident happened at around 8pm on Tuesday,he has a field behind his house in Lotus River and behind that is a block of flats.
Every Guy Fawkes evening there are a lot of fireworks going off on the field. Daniels says last night his dog Storm jumped over my vibracrete wall of about 1.5m to 1.8m.
Rayno Daniels says her terrified frame of mind at the time must have made her jump the wall.
Storm then got stuck in Daniels’ neighbour’s steel gate. The spaces between the steel poles of the gate are about 7cm to 10cm and Daniels says she is not a small dog.
The neighbour alerted Daniels to the terrified and bleeding dog.
He checked her for injuries as best he could after which he notified Animal Welfare Society of SA (Awssa) in Philippi.
Daniels claims this is the second year this is happening to him and three years ago, the same thing happened to his brother’s dog.
Yesterday Storm was recovering well but her actual condition would be ascertained pending a visit to Awssa.
Head of resource development and communications at Awssa, Allan Perrins said despite a comparatively uneventful night they were all drained from staying alert expecting these dreaded calls.
Mayoral committee member for safety and security, JP Smith said Guy Fawkes was unnecessary.
Smith said there was no justification for this macabre celebration, and the hurt, pain and anguish it caused to so many people; not to mention the drain on City and police resources to deal with the many complaints received detracted from the many other pressing policing priorities in the city.
More: Cape Argus