Xenophobia truck wars force Western Cape freeways to close

Several freeways blocked in Cape Town due to truck drivers' protest
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

AS xenophobia truck wars escalate in South Africa, several freeways in the Cape Town metro have been closed.

Xenophobic are flaring up in parts of Johannesburg and the trucking industry seems to have caught on in the Western Cape.

Western Cape Traffic chief Kenny Africa said the N2 and N7 have been affected, including a number of passes, asking motorists to use other routes due to trucks blockading roads.

However, the City of Cape Town said the N2 has been reopened at the Mew Way off-ramp near Khayelitsha and Baden Powell on-ramp following an earlier protest by truck drivers. The N2 outbound at Spine Road was also reopened after being blocked by a truck.

“Du Toitskloof Pass is closed due to a truck accident and Piekenierskloof Pass on the N7 is also closed to traffic due to trucks blocking the N7 completely, Africa said.

The South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu) has distanced itself from the planned strike in the trucking industry on Monday and on Sunday.

The Zambian government issued a travel advisory last week, warning its truck drivers to avoid travelling on South African roads.

South African truck drivers allegedly ordered those with foreign licenses to abandon their trucks or to empty the contents of their trucks onto the road and then leave the trucks on the road.

More than 200 people – mostly foreign truck drivers – have been killed in South Africa since March 2018

More: Cape Times

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Trending on #TheWC

#LATEST