The tourism and hospitality industry in South Africa has been hit hard by the Covid-19 pandemic, as leisure travel and accommodation are still banned under the current lockdown.
Despite the seemingly insurmountable challenges posed by the pandemic, Peninsula All-Suite Hotel, has come up with an idea that will help the hotel to remain operational during these tough times.
According to Business Insider the four-star landmark in Sea Point, Cape Town, now offers laundry, “housekeeping” services, and maintenance services.
The hotel’s general manager, Chris Godenir said his team was looking for ways to save jobs and started to think about options to use the assets, including large washing machines, at their disposal.
“What I am trying to do is to keep income coming in so I can keep my staff employed. I’m not considering retrenchments,” he said.
Services offered by the hotel include:
- Washing large laundry items for R50 per kilogram – laundry can be dropped off at the hotel’s newly established “laundry drive-thru”.
- For customers within a five-kilometre radius, the service includes free pick-ups
- The laundry service will wash your towels, duvets, duvet covers, cushion covers, and curtains – but clothing is not yet included.
- The hotel also offers housekeeping services for R350 for three hours- this also works for a small business or an office.
- Housekeeping staff will be dropped off and collected.
- The maintenance team now does household repair work – including fixing light fittings and broken cupboards – at an hourly rate.
- To accommodate people who can’t work from the office, the hotel now offers computer workstations to customers for R60 (for 30 minutes).
- The hotel is also offering a private office suite that customers can rent for the day, with free WiFi.
- The private office can be used to conduct interviews, for example, and costs R200 during the first hour and R100 per hour after that.