fbpx
For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health’s website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

Man who allegedly ran over a security guard in Stellenbosch, hopes to resolve the matter through mediation

Steyn, previously indicated he intended pleading not guilty to the charge of attempted murder, with an alternative charge of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

The man charged with attempted murder after allegedly driving over a security guard in Stellenbosch and rushing off is hoping to resolve the matter through mediation.

Related Articles:

WATCH: Security guard run over by motorist in Stellenbosch

He is stable but we are ‘very worried’ – brother of security guard run over at a Stellenbosch shopping complex

Man who ran over Stellenbosch security guard turns himself in

Johan Steyn, from Kraaifontein, appeared in the Stellenbosch Magistrate’s Court on Thursday morning after allegedly driving over Mzwanele Wellem at the De Boord shopping complex on April 30.

The incident was captured on CCTV and by a bystander on video and subsequently which went viral.

Steyn, previously indicated he intended pleading not guilty to the charge of attempted murder, with an alternative charge of assault with the intent to cause grievous bodily harm.

Magistrate Alaric Amos postponed the matter to July 12 for a regional court decision. Steyn, who owns a general building repairs and maintenance business, is out on R2 000 bail.

Steyn’s lawyer, Bruce Hendricks, said outside court they were in the process of drafting representations and hoped they could take the mediation route.

EFF Stellenbosch councillor Derrick Hendrickse said the accused should be held accountable for his actions.

“To mediate is not acceptable. I think the State must send out a clear message to prevent these things from happening again. The reality is, so often we see people not having respect for one another’s lives, especially in the racial environment that we live.”

The 39-year-old Wellem was treated at a local hospital and discharged soon after but has reportedly been attending physical therapy as part of his recovery.

Two lawyers have been assisting the security guard on a pro bono basis.

More: IOL

Receive new posts directly to your inbox daily

We don’t share or sell your data

You May Like

Popular on #TheWC