Sea Point residents are planning to challenge last week’s Municipal Planning Tribunal decision to construct an 18-storey high-rise in an area zoned for a maximum of nine storeys.
The tribunal for the North West District approved a land use application for a new skyscraper in Sea Point by developer Berman Brothers Group. The tribunal ordered that inclusionary housing be part of the development.
The proposal put forward was to reserve 20% of the 140 flats for “affordable” housing.
“The decision has been strongly objected. We are planning to appeal the decision in the coming week,” the Sea Point, Fresnaye and Bantry Bay Ratepayers and Residents’ Association said.
The association did not want to divulge further details but confirmed it would be convening on Monday and will announce plans on Tuesday.
Ward councillor Nicola Jowell said she was disappointed that the application was approved after the objections by residents.
She said “I will support the appeal. I think it’s good that there will be inclusionary housing but the problem is that the development received many objections.”
Jowell also said she would petition mayoral committee member for spatial planning and environment Marian Nieuwoudt and Mayor Dan Plato to investigate.