The awards recognise positive male role models in society and have honoured legends such as George Bizos, Richard Maponya and Bruce Fordyce among others.
The awards chairperson Bongani Ngomane said Mr Radius Masukume’s brave and heroic deeds of deserve a special recognition, not only by the people of Cape Town but by all South Africans.
He said that even though the awards only focused on Gauteng this year due to a limited budget they felt compelled to honour Radius Masukume.
The awards committee and Social Development Men’s Forum said Masukume’s actions epitomised the campaign’s “don’t look away” and “not in my name” messages.
The awards committee were able to provide transport and accommodation for him once, but hoped a kind person would sponsor his flights.
The awards take place at Carnival City on November 27 and nominations close at the end of October.
Reacting to the news, Masukume said he was very happy and would consider attending, although he also had to consider the running of his construction business.
The 49-year-old previously said he didn’t think twice before intervening when he heard the woman’s cries for help. Masukume was stabbed multiple times while fighting off two men who were raping the 45-year-old woman in a field.
He believed men should protect women because they were instrumental in the raising of children and passing on of valuable skills.
Keep the Energy, a Facebook group which focuses on gender-based violence, posted about the incident and also set up a fundraising page to reward him for his selflessness.
Masukume was pleased about the fundraising efforts and wanted to use it to help others.
He said in Dunoon, vulnerable women are victims of abuse and rape and the fund could be used to help them.
Western Cape police have not yet arrested anyone for the cases of attempted murder, attempted robbery and rape.