Prasa offers reward for information on train arsonists

"Setting fire to railway infrastructure was inexcusable and sabotage."
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa) has appealed to the public to assist in confirming the identity of the four suspects captured on security cameras in the “act” of train arson at Cape Town Station in the early hours of Thursday.

The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa has put up a reward of R100 000 for information that would secure their conviction. Prasa group chief executive Nkosinathi Sishi said setting fire to railway infrastructure was inexcusable and sabotage.

The group executive said every incident further reduces Metrorail’s ability to offer its users a reliable, safe and convenient service. Sishe added that the harder they work to modernise the rail services, the more these incidents undermine train users and public confidence in the Western Cape train service.

Sishi said investigations and intelligence point to orchestrated sabotage within the Western Cape rail network, causing millions of rand in damage since the start of the sporadic spate of fires in 2015.

Chairperson of the City’s transport portfolio committee Angus McKenzie called on Richard Walker to step down.Richard Walker is currently the Metrorail Western Cape’s regional manager. McKenzie said in the past three years more than 140 carriages had been destroyed.

According to McKenzie after three years only one mentally unstable individual has been arrested for this attack in Cape Town and its residents. He said Richard Walker must be held accountable and must immediately either be relieved of his duties or do the honourable thing and resign.

More: Cape Argus

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Trending on #TheWC

#LATEST

small_c_popup.png

Stay Connected

Daily updates on the top stories in The Western Cape #TheWC

Receive posts directly to your inbox

We do not share or sell your data.