A 13-year-old boy who dreams of becoming an international soccer player is on life support after a brick was flung against his head during Guy Fawkes mayhem this week.
The Grade 6 pupil at Heinz Park Primary School had been playing in Daffodil Street on Tuesday when a man in his 30s is said to have thrown a brick against his head.
The teen had not been part of the Guy Fawkes “festivities”.
The boy was rushed to Mitchells Plain Day Hospital and was later transferred to Groote Schuur Hospital, where he is currently in a coma and on life support.
His mother, Angeline Mondo, 49, says:
“From what we understand, he was playing outside, he still likes to play with smaller children.
“A man in his 30s, who had a small child in his arms, threw a brick which hit Chadwin in the head and he was left unconscious.”
“The way I feel is that Guy Fawkes must not exist anymore, it must be gone and government also has a role to play,” she added.
MAYCO member for Safety and Security, JP Smith, says that on 5 November, they received 345 phone calls, 12 of which were complaints of assault, four of stone throwing, 272 of the setting off fireworks, 35 of selling fireworks and eight of intimidation.
On Tuesday, a video went viral on social media showing a group of laaities attacking a man in Halt Road in Elsies River, smearing him with paint and hitting him with socks filled with either sand or stones.
Smith says: “There is absolutely no justification for this macabre celebration, and the hurt, pain and anguish it causes to so many people; not to mention the drain on City and police resources to deal with the many complaints received, which detract from the many other pressing policing priorities in our city.”