Twelve people were hospitalised on Wednesday afternoon following an alleged gas leak at a farm on George Blake Road in Stellenbosch in the Western Cape.
ER24 paramedics, along with Life Healthcare, arrived at the Stellenbosch location shortly after 12:00 to the Western Cape HAZMAT team assisting in the evacuation of the building.
ER24, Life Healthcare, Western Cape EMS and Western Cape Doctor set up a triage area and assessed the patients, found that twelve people required further treatment at hospital. Once treated, the patients were transported to Stellenbosch Provincial Hospital for further care.
Several other patients were assessed and treated on scene, but did not require treatment at a hospital.
The details surrounding this incident are not yet known but local authorities were on the scene for further investigations.
Earlier this month in an unrelated incident, approximately twenty-three learners and staff at Muizenberg High School were affected due to a gas-like smell which made them start coughing.
Via: Cape Argus