Gale force winds along the Garden Route have caused power outages in several areas in the region.
George Municipality said that affected areas will remain off until trees are cut, roads are cleared and lines are repaired again.
“Please note, we will be able to switch some areas on as soon as the wind settles down. Some repairs might take a full day,”- George Municipality.
Here are some of the areas that have been affected:
1. Portion Herold’s Bay and surrounding farms
2. Geelhoutboon, Farmlands farms
3. Victoria Heights, Blackwood line.
4. Wilderness Heights, Remskoen Ave, Taaibos Ave, Erica Street, Silver River Road, Strawberry Hill, Seven Passes Road and Tien Myl Avenue
5. Wilderness east
6. Some areas in Thembalethu
7. Le Grand, Hansmoeskraal
The George Municipality also said firefighters attended to several veld fires overnight, however they have now been contained.
The South African Weather Service (SAWS) issued a Orange level 8 warning of wind speeds of up to 100 km per hour over most parts of the Western Cape province.
⚠️ Orange level 8 for Wind resulting in WIDESPREAD structural damages expected over the West Coast District, coast and Namakwa of the Northern Cape, Central Karoo, Garden Route and Cape Winelands of the Western Cape as well in places over the Eastern Cape from tonight 29-30 June
— SA Weather Service (@SAWeatherServic) June 29, 2021