Cape Town’s safety official Alderman JP Smit said in a statement on Friday that Cape Town will ban all fireworks even at previously ‘designated firework sites’.
“The discharging of fireworks is not allowed in terms of the Community Fire Safety By-law, but the City of Cape Town has, for a number of years, made an exception to accommodate this practice for Guy Fawkes, Diwali and New Year’s Eve”, said Smit.
“However, a number of factors have made us change course this year.”
The factors include the decreased appetite from subcouncils to approve designated sites, the cost of running the sites (including staff and Fire and Rescue Services), and growing public sentiment opposing the use of fireworks.
“Given that there will be no designated sites this year, the City appeals to residents to please refrain from setting off fireworks”, added Smit.
Anyone who detonates fireworks in a building or public thoroughfare faces a R200 fine; and those who sell fireworks to anyone under 16, or allow them to handle fireworks without adult supervision, face a R300 fine.
According to councillor Nicky Rheeder the only time fireworks would be permitted in Cape Town is if somebody with an organised display has a permit issued by the South African Police Service.
More: SA People