fbpx
For all official information and updates regarding COVID-19, visit the South African Department of Health’s website at www.sacoronavirus.co.za

CoCT calls for arrests following arson attack at a Masiphumelele temporary housing project

About 350 temporary structures were torched on Friday night.
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email
CoCT calls for arrests following arson attack at a Masiphumelele temporary housing project

The City of Cape Town has called for the arrest of those responsible for the petrol-bombing, looting, and demolishing of structures at a Masiphumelele temporary housing project.

Related Articles:

Youths disrupt housing project in Masiphumelele

About 350 temporary structures were torched on Friday night.

It is alleged that protestors who were against the development set the structures alight.

The City said the project was launched to house people whose shacks burnt down in December last year.

Earlier during the week a group of young people from the area disrupted the installation of temporary relocation area (TRA) units on the sports field on which the structures were being erected.

The group indicated that the City of Cape Town did not consult with the community before moving the TRA units onto the field.

They said the field is the only one in the area and is used by a number of sports clubs and schools who play netball, soccer, touch rugby, and volleyball.

The City’s Ward 69 Councillor Felicity Purchase however believes the acts of criminality were politically motivated.

 

 

 

 

Buy us a Coffee

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Receive new posts directly to your inbox daily

We don’t share or sell your data

You May Like

Popular on #TheWC