A Cape Town father and and son have been granted bail in the Atlantis Magistrate’s Court on Monday after appearing on charges relating to sexual abuse, rape and sexual grooming.
The victims are related to the two accused.
Police arrested the 56-year-old father and his 23-year-old son on Friday after information pertaining to the abuse came to light when one of the victims allegedly tried to commit suicide.
Police spokesperson Colonel André Traut said the father and son allegedly abused two sisters over a number of years.
The victims, who are now 16 and 19 years old respectively, had been abused by the suspects from the age of seven and 10, he said.
Following their court appearance the pair were granted bail of R2 000 each, with strict conditions.
They were ordered to stay away from any family gatherings, to report to the Atlantis police station every Saturday, and they are to hand in their passports and cellphones.
Janine Passenz from the Survivors Haven Foundation, an organisation which advocates against gender-based violence (GBV), told the ANA that she was shocked at the court’s decision to grant the two accused men bail.
“I’m not happy when sex offenders gets released on bail. It’s like a step backwards for our victims that had the guts to report these crimes,” Passenz said.
The case against the father and son has been postponed until August 5, 2021.