A man accused of setting fire to trains at the Cape Town station last month, was on Thursday referred for mental observation.
The arson attack on April 21 destroyed 12 coaches, two motor coaches and nine plain trailers, according to Metrorail group chief strategy officer Dr Sipho Sithole.
It also damaged around 300m of wires that were critical to automate train control.
The accused, Thobela Xoseni did not say a word when he made a brief appearance in the Cape Town Magistrate’s Court.
Prosecutor Adiel Jansen explained that the district surgeon had drawn up a report after seeing the tall, thin accused.
“The doctor says he is referring or suggesting that he be referred for 30 days’ observation,” said Jansen.
Xoseni will however have to wait for a bed to become available at Valkenberg psychiatric hospital.
CCTV footage led to Xoseni’s arrest the following day on a charge of malicious damage to property.
Cape Town Mayor Dan Plato said that more than 40 carriages have been burnt in arson attacks since 2017.
He added that not a single person has been charged in relation to the more than 10 incidents over the past two years.