300 minibus taxis blockaded the R300 and Mew Way road on Tuesday after they were asked to move back to the Bellville taxi rank.
SA National Taxi Council provincial spokesperson Gershon Geyer said there was a stand-off between the Congress of Democratic Taxi Associations (Codeta) and the Cape Amalgamated Taxi Association (Cata) at the Bellville rank.
According to Geyer, Codeta drivers removed their vehicles from the line a few weeks ago and were loading on a field close to the rank.
He said the drivers involved refused to go back to the station, citing safety concerns.
“So they removed the vehicles today and were escorted by the police back to Khayelitsha,” said Geyer.
Adding that both Codeta and Cata had submitted a proposal to the Transport and Public Works MEC Bonginkosi Madikizela last week to try and resolve the issue.
Codeta spokesperson Besuthu Ndungane told the Cape Argus that their drivers were threatened by drivers from Cata.
“The drivers were then forced to take their taxis to the owners because they were not safe,” Ndungane said.
The department of Transport and Public Works is investigating the matter.